Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Supervisor John Moorlach's Take on the Sheriff

As expected, Supervisor John Moorlach has asked embattled Sheriff Carona to resign.

Here's Supervisor Moorlach's statement from his MOORLACH UPDATE -- Sheriff Carona -- October 30, 2007:

"Put this under “Tomorrow’s News.” At today’s Board of Supervisors meeting, I requested that Sheriff Michael Carona resign.

Michael and I go back a long ways. In fact, I don’t believe I would have rerun for Treasurer-Tax Collector in 1998 if he had not decided to run for Sheriff. I hoped that it would be a new day for the Sheriff’s office and the County.

But, this morning’s front page headline in the Los Angeles Times (http://www.latimes.com/la-me-carona30oct30,0,4519221.story) requires me to be consistent with regards to County elected officials who have committed acts of serious malfeasance in office.

The indictments came as somewhat of a surprise as the Sheriff had never intimated to me that there was a Federal investigation and that the consequences could be this severe.

Numerous visual media representatives were present at the Board meeting, including Channel 11, KFI AM, et al. Expect to see something on the television news today.

I will be praying for Mike, his wife and son during this stressful time and that Mike will do the most appropriate thing for the voters of the County. Duty and honor demand it."

No comments:

Post a Comment