Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Legislative Raises

Before I start, I want to say that if you've been reading this blog, you probably already know that:

First and foremost, I'm a HUGE fan of Assemblyman Chuck DeVore. I'm extremely proud to call him a friend, and was around him when he was first discussing his run for State Assembly. I've helped him fold envelopes and lick stamps. When he says something I don't know about, or even agree with, I definitely have always given him the benefit of the doubt and because of his arguments in favor/or against an issue, I've always come back around to his side.

He's a Conservative in every sense of the word, and walks the talk, every time.

He has a great wife and really smart and beautiful kids.

He's also always been there for me, giving me support and guidance whenever I've asked, and even when I haven't. He's stepped out on the limb for me many times and I am eternally grateful.

With that said, however, I have to say that I'm a bit disappointed that he's keeping the pay raise that the California State Assembly is receiving, all the while the State of California is going through a major fiscal crisis easily eclipsing the situation that got Former Governor Gray Davis kicked out of office for.

All the State Assemblymen will be getting an extra $3000 a year putting their pay up to $116,208 per year. Yes I know, $3000 is not very much and neither is $116,208 per year (especially compared to the Newport Beach City Employees who average over $100k/year). But in addition to their wage, and their very generous health benefits, they receive approximately another $34,000 in non-taxable per diem. In addition to their normal wage, and it's probably closer to $60,000 before taxes, which would put them at around $175,000 a year.

Now, knowing Chuck:

Yes - I know that he works very, very hard.

Yes - He definitely deserves the raise and every dollar he earns.

Yes - He probably earns less than he did before he became Assemblyman.

and

Yes - Making ends meet as the sole breadwinner for a family of 4 is extremely difficult and he needs all the help he can get (this coming from the sole breadwinner for a family of 5).

However, Chuck is someone who's ALWAYS been about principle.

Fiscal restraint and not spending it if you don't have it.

And while he's always been a huge critic of the Governor's spending habits and the State spending WAY more than it has...

Wouldn't it make sense that the State can't really afford to give all the elected members of the State Government raises, especially with an estimated $10 BILLION DOLLAR DEFICIT IN 2008?

Any other year, or time, or era, Assemblyman Chuck DeVore is underpaid.

Note - Assemblyman Van Tran is donating his raise to local charities, as he has done in previous years.

No comments:

Post a Comment