Monday, December 17, 2007

Illegal Immigrants Not Soo Illegal in Huntington Beach?

Sometimes I read articles and I get pretty angry, and I want to get to my laptop immediately to write (vent) about it.

Fortunately, though, my life isn't easy enough to do that and I'm forced to stew about it until I can get to a computer.

...and it's for the better sometimes because.

Anyway, the issue of Costa Mesa's ICE program has been in the newspapers (here and here) lately.

But it was this article which made my blood boil, not the entire article mind you, but the only the comments by the Police Chiefs of Santa Ana and Huntington Beach:

The police chiefs in Huntington Beach and Santa Ana, the cities on either side of Costa Mesa, say local police should only be questioning dangerous criminals about their immigration status.

Anything else could result in immigrants becoming afraid to call police when a crime occurs or afraid to testify when they see a crime.

"There's millions of undocumented people in California; I've met many of them," said Huntington Beach Police Chief Ken Small.

"Most of them are good, hard-working people."

I'm sure that Huntington Beach Police Chief can also say that he's also met many Burglars, Rapists, Murderers and a couple of Former Huntington Beach Mayors (who are now Convicted Felons) who are also good, hard-working people...

So if they are good people (and Illegal), they are allowed to commit crimes (not serious ones mind you) and not have to worried about being deported? I guess that seems fair...

I thought being an Illegal Immigrant was against the law (HENCE THE NAME ILLEGAL) and aren't our Law Enforcement personnel supposed to enforce ALL THE FREAKING LAWS?

I guess perhaps I don't understand that only certain laws need enforcing...but only if a certain kind of crime is committed.

I've known many illegal immigrants in my travels.

One, for instance, that I knew was deported. Then 5 days later (because he got caught 4 times) he was back, with a new name, a new Social Security card and a new Green card. I asked why it took him 5 attempts to make it back and he replied that he just paid the Coyote more money that 5th time...

Another, for instance, was the brother of my English girlfriend that I had in college. He overstayed his Tourist Visa by 3 years, working random cash jobs and traveling the Country. He primarily stayed in the Youth Hostel in Downtown Huntington Beach (coincidence?).

You know what the common theme and sentiment between these two Illegal Immigrants.

If they did something illegal (dangerous or not), then they'd get sent back home.

So they didn't do anything illegal.

Sounds simple right?

But for Huntington Beach Police Chief Ken Small, I guess that Illegal Immigrants are only illegal if they do something dangerous.

Ugghhh....

Here's something interesting:

Under Mexican law, illegal immigration is a felony. The General Law on Population says,
  • "A penalty of up to two years in prison and a fine of three hundred to five thousand pesos will be imposed on the foreigner who enters the country illegally." (Article 123)
  • Foreigners with legal immigration problems may be deported from Mexico instead of being imprisoned. (Article 125)
  • Foreigners who "attempt against national sovereignty or security" will be deported. (Article 126)
Mexicans who help illegal aliens enter the country are themselves considered criminals under the law:
  • A Mexican who marries a foreigner with the sole objective of helping the foreigner live in the country is subject to up to five years in prison. (Article 127)
  • Shipping and airline companies that bring undocumented foreigners into Mexico will be fined. (Article 132)
Did you know that Mexico deports more Illegal Immigrants than the United States?

And I bet that many didn't commit "dangerous" crimes.

I guess they enforce that law. Ironic huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment