Thursday, December 13, 2007

George Mitchell's MLB-Steroid Report

Like most kids, I grew up a huge Baseball fan and while living in New York City as a kid, I watched Reggie Jackson hit those three home runs on my parent's Black and White 8" TV (yes that's what makes me a lifetime Yankee fan).

So in horror, I watch as former US Senator George Mitchell releases his report on Major League Baseballs cheaters, further bursting the bubble of America's heroes and the heroic sport that I hope to get my own son involved in one day (yes I know, the only heroes a kid should have is his/her parents).

There could be some problems with the report though:

First - George Mitchell is a Director for the Boston Red Sox; so any torpedoing of the Yankees and a couple of Yankee "gods" (including a Former Red Sox) wouldn't be too surprising. And I didn't particularly notice too many Red Sox players on the list and "More than a dozen Yankees, past and present, were among the 80-plus players identified."

Second - This smacks to me like something similar as the McCarthyism, feeling more like a witch hunt primarily because, "Mitchell's investigation was a difficult one because he had no subpoena power, meaning he had no way to force players or witness to cooperate with his investigation," and that "...the Mitchell team explicitly pressured them (team trainers and strength coaches) to "guess" about steroid use by specific players."

But, as predicted, there are huge names in it.

Surprisingly, there's also the name of a kid I went to high school with, who won a World Series ring with my Yankees.

Anyway, in the report are copies of checks and handwritten notes to the steroid dealers from these baseball heroes, plus postage receipts.

It's ugly.

Here's the report.

Read it and weep...and remember who our real heroes should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment