Saturday, September 1, 2007

Todd Marinovich Part II

This past Monday night, the 27th of August, I caught this on the OC Register's Police Blotter, in the midst of all of it's other mentions:

W. Balboa Boulevard, 1300 block: arrest, Aug. 26. Todd Marvin Marinovich, 38, of Newport Beach, was arrested on suspicion of possession of a controlled substance.

Since it was Monday night and the arrest happened early Sunday morning, I figured that it would have been all of the place, but it wasn't. So I asked, "Am I the first to notice or the only one who cares?."

Tuesday afternoon, the Orange County Register looked at it's own paper and finally wrote an article about it. The Daily Pilot follow suit the next day.

But then, I got my answer in spades a few days later as I got visits all over the world using the Search Word "Todd Marinovich." Since Blogger.com is owned by Google, anyone using Google's search engine would get this site in the first page or two.

In fact, my little mention about his arrest Monday evening topped my bashing of Video Game Nanny State Senator Tom Harman as the most visited page on this blog. Something which I thought would be difficult to do.

So I got my answer, people still do care. The Daily Pilot wrote a follow up article and then the Pilot and the OC Register even took it a step further than their original articles by writing a follow up interview of Todd from JAIL (here and here). And all of a sudden, he is the most popular drug addict in Newport Beach.

Maybe they'll give him a good room in the Sober Living Home that he'll be staying in. Maybe we can get his autograph, since he'll probably be right next door anyway.

But I think the best quote came from Todd himself as he was commenting that after 15 years after his NFL career ended, he was surprised that people still cared, saying:

"After being out of the game for so long, it is surprising to me that there is so much interest."

Me too Todd, me too.

No comments:

Post a Comment