Sunday, September 23, 2007

Funniest Quote of the Year!

I don't think Lincoln Club President Richard Wagner meant to say what he said as a joke. But after cleaning off the coffee I spilled after my laptop after reading it, I realized that he was serious when he said:

"...but I know that we in the club will be very, very disappointed in that there’s six Republicans on that council."

Six Republicans on that council? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Are they Republican like Hillary Clinton was, as a College Republican, or how Congresswoman Loretta Sanchez was, when she ran for Anaheim City Council? Maybe, maybe not.

And don't forget, one of our Republicans re-registered as a Republican a week before announcing his candidacy, while the only non-Republican re-registered as a Decline To State, after years in the Green Party, right before announcing hers.

I know in Newport Beach, we consider ourselves...well...different, but we also live in one of the most Conservative counties. But I don't get that same Conservative feeling from our Councilmembers (Keith Curry and former Councilmember Dick Nichols were the exceptions), and in conversations with them, nor should I expect to.

I know the Lincoln Club very well. I know many of its members. I know what they strive for and I know that many are not what has been called Arnold Republicans. Conservative fiscally, liberal socially. There's another major Republican club who fits that description perfectly. They are the epitome of the "Do as I say, not as I Do" mentality when it comes to politics, but with very large checkbooks. But not the Lincoln Club. I have always found them to practice what they preach.

But they should be very prepared for disappointment when it comes to Republican expectations from the City Council. Because what you have is a City Council who have done everything they can to increase the size of government in an already bloated City structure.

Councilman Keith Curry is the only who has tried to put a speed bump to it. In this instance, he's the only one who is trying to practice what he preaches.

The Unions are ready to declare war, calling Newport Beach "...ground Zero of a Statewide War," and if you read the quotes from Mayor Rosansky and Councilman Webb (not surprised considering he was a life-long City Employee), you can actually sense a bit of fear of the Union position. It's interesting.

As far as the Lincoln Club's assistance in circulating petitions, I would think to see Santa Claus in person before seeing that. They have already jumped into an early endorsement of County Supervisor Janet Nguyen (the Newport Beach Fire Fighters contributed $1000 to her previous opponent Tom Umberg earlier this year) and with all the animosity that went with getting her elected by 3 (yes count them on one hand) votes, most, if not all, of their efforts will be used on getting her re-elected. If you thought Supervisor John Moorlach represents Newport Beach, he does. Janet represents a different district.

My guess? 6 to 1 against Keith's proposal.

No comments:

Post a Comment