Tuesday, October 21, 2008

More Axes at the Daily Pilot!

Taken from the OC Weekly and the OC Weekly's favorite Blog, A Bubbling Cauldron, is news that the Daily Pilot just went through ANOTHER round of layoffs.

The most prominent victim this time?

The guy who took over when Tom Johnson quit.

Tony Dodero.

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!


Here's Tony's letter:

My friends and colleagues:

Tough news today. I learned that effective this week, as part of another round of layoffs at our parent company, the Los Angeles Times, I will no longer be employed at the Daily Pilot and Times Community News. An official announcement/news story will be appear in the newspaper on Wednesday.

It's obviously a difficult time in the newspaper business and I'm no special exception to the rule, despite what my mom says.

Seriously though, for those of you I've known and worked with for years, I wish you all well and hope our paths will cross down the road soon.

I look forward to taking a new direction in my life and judging by the economy, it looks like my timing is impeccable as ever.

The Daily Pilot will be in good hands with the newsroom leadership of Brady Rhoades. He's a solid editor and newsman, whom I consider to be a friend as much as I do a colleague.

I was already complaining of the Pilot's lack of Newport Beach coverage, and serious lack of Political credibility.

Two years ago, the Pilot had a strong Publisher in Tom Johnson, a strong editor in SJ Cahn, a smart political report in Alicia Robinson (in addition to the fine line of previous political writers), and a good Web Editor in Dodero.

Now...

As the Frank Sinatra version of the song goes...

...the End is near!

No comments:

Post a Comment