Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Rehab Homes Are Still There?

For me, the Rehab/Sober Living Home issue has gotten a bit old.

Lawsuits have been filed in Federal Court.

Rulings have been made (partial decisions mind you).

More homes are being added (sorry, I don't know how to link to Bob Rush's emails which have pictures of the activity, although the City says that aren't really Rehab Homes, just where the family of Rehab Home residents live...I'm confused too).

Councilman Steve Rosansky isn't being viciously attacked anymore (and most likely will go through an election cycle without a "Real" opponent).

And the residents are still upset, asking the City Council to make sure to defend their laws.

So why do I not really care anymore?

I don't know.

I almost had to force myself to write this, while 4 articles have been written in the Daily Pilot and the OC Register about it this week.

So, in an effort to care (well...not really), I recently moved right into the middle of the Institutionalized area with two Licensed "facilities" half a street away, and two more at the end of my street.

Which means there are 24 beds within 200 steps of my home, my kids, and my dog.

Do I see them?

Yeah, sure.

Every morning when I check the waves and walk my dog (even sometimes when I'm holding my kids) "They" are out on their patio smoking, talking, drinking coffee, and reading their bibles.

Have I been lucky to not have any of them spit, curse or yell at me, my kids or my dog?

Of course.

Has anyone broke into my house yet (but remember that I'm a HUGE proponent of the 2nd Amendment)?

Nope.

There's more risk of having some dude off the street do that, I'm sure.

So to answer my own question above, why don't I really care that much anymore?

As I'm writing this, I don't have an answer.

The institutionalization of Newport Beach affects me more than it affects my In-Laws across town.

There are 24 beds within 200 steps from where my little kids sleep.

Maybe because I trust my government (local and Federal) too much to finally step in to "fix" the giant loophole which allows these FOR PROFIT BUSINESSES TO FINALLY BE TREATED LIKE BUSINESSES?

Maybe I've become Naive again.

Or maybe I just have other things in my life which affect me more right now...

Sorry for not caring anymore.

And right now...I don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment