Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Who's the Fool?

In my early morning news search, I came across this commentary in the Daily Pilot about why a light rail system (like the mess in Irvine described here and here and here and here) would be great for Newport Beach...and after laughing uncontrollably for 5 minutes and almost dropping my kid in the process, I paused and noticed who wrote it, Lenard Davis. In the past, I've been interested in what Mr. Davis has had to say in the Daily Pilot (here, here, and here) but this time he's way off base. Light rail is a "noble" idea as I've known many people living in very urban areas who don't have drivers licenses or cars because of public transportation, but even as Mr. Davis points out, we love our cars too much in Newport Beach. I think the statistic was that for our 80,000 plus residents, there are 100,000 plus registered vehicles in our city limits. But registered vehicles notwithstanding, it would cost way too much money, and we all know that Newport Beach would rather borrow money (at 7%-10% interest) to build a nice pretty White Elephant (City Hall).

So I thought that Mr. Davis was a fool for writing it.

The Daily Pilot were fools for publishing it.

But then...I wasted 20 minutes reading it (I read slowly and my comprehension is a bit lacking), spent 5 minutes laughing (laughing is never a waste of time especially when your son laughs with you), wasted 5 minutes researching and writing this (I type fast) and almost dropped my son...so...who's the fool now?

No comments:

Post a Comment